Beginning a Keto Lifestyle
Starting a keto/low carb lifestyle can be challenging at first! Decreasing carbohydrates drastically can often make people feel under the weather, but this typically resolves within 1-3 days. If you are interested in trying out a keto diet, here are some tips to help ease you in!
1. Carb cycle a few days a week to start. Try out a keto diet for about 4-5 days of the week and then eat normally for the other 2-3. This way, you can get the hang of it without jumping in feet first.
2. Go easy on yourself. When starting a new diet, it may be beneficial to reduce the intensity of your workouts for a week or so or to incorporate more LISS rather than heavy weight lifting. It is normal to feel a bit sluggish after the first week of reducing carbs, so going a little easier on your workouts may help the transition!
Blackberry Keto Pancakes — Fit Body App Recipe
3. Drink plenty of water! We should always be making sure that we are staying well-hydrated, but especially if we are increasing our protein intake and decreasing intake from fruits and other high water content foods! Maybe now is the time to treat yourself to that cute new reusable water bottle you’ve been eyeing. 😉
4. Focus on quality. Transitioning into a keto diet means that you may be consuming more animal products than you were previously. If you can, try to purchase higher-quality products such as grass-fed meats, cage-free eggs, and organic dairy products.
Salmon and Bacon Brussel Sprouts — Fit Body App Recipe
5. Add bulk to your meals with non-starchy veggies. This can help make meals more satiating and help provide plenty of micronutrients to help you feel your best when transitioning into a new way of eating.
Email our Registered Dietitian at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any help with beginning a Keto lifestyle, or help with your nutrition in general. You get free RD consultations included in your Fit Body app membership!